Without Warning Homeless Man Runs Into Burning House, Comes Out A Hero

Updated December 5, 2017

Homelessness can happen to anyone. When circumstances go wrong, or bills start piling up, people can lose their comfortable lifestyle and end up without a place to call their own. It happens from numerous causes including medical issues and massive debt.

But one local Las Vegas homeless man has become a hero overnight when he jumped into a raging apartment fire to rescue two small children from the consuming flames.

Although Anival Angulo lives on the streets of Las Vegas, and most people look down on him, he rose to the occasion when he heard two children screaming on Friday. Angulo saw smoke coming from an apartment on Mesquite Avenue, which is near Bonanza Road and Eastern Avenue. He put two and two together and realized that the children were being victimized in the fire. So, Angulo rushed into the burning building and grabbed the two small children and hurried them out into safety.

He won’t call himself a hero, so we are doing it for him. Angulo proved that he was willing to face danger at his own risk to save the lives of two small children. Although he won’t admit it, we all know he is a hero.

It was not easy for Angulo to save the children. When he realized they were inside, he broke down a security gate and then rushed into the burning building. He found the apartment that was on fire and saved the 10-month-old baby boy, and 3-year-old girl stuck inside.

Angulo described how he went about saving the lives of the two children.

“Went to the door and saw the babies so I jumped the fence and I pulled on the screen door, and I wrapped up the babies and pulled them out. I knew I had to get them out.”

Angulo was recognized by the Las Vegas Fire Department after he saved the children’s lives.

“Heavy smoke from 1-sto apt bldg, reported children trapped inside, crews on scene attacking, conducting search. REPORT NOW CHILDREN ARE OUT. No inj’s IC request 2 more engines,” the Las Vegas Fire Rescue tweeted on December 1.

The fire started at around 11:30 am. Apparently, the grandfather was watching the two children and had left food on the stove which started the fire.

It took the Las Vegas fire team just about 20 minutes to put out the fire. But those minutes might not have been fast enough to save the lives of the two children who were still stuck inside. Good thing, Angulo was there to pull them from the burning building when he did.

“The children were in the living room. Food was cooking on the stove. The grandfather was watching the children. He was in a back bedroom. The kids say the stove caught on fire, it got bigger and they started yelling. The granddad couldn’t get to them because of the fire,” Tim Szymanski from Las Vegas Fire Rescue told reporters.

Angulo saved the day.

“It’s obvious if this person hadn’t been there, these children could’ve been burned or may have been killed in the fire,” Szymanski said.